WALKING TOURS & FIELD TRIPS
The Temecula Valley Museum is designed with permanent and changing exhibits that allow visitors to take a self-guided tour introducing them to our local and period history.
Guided tours led by our trained and knowledgeable tour docents are also available of the museum and Old Town Temecula. Reservations are required for guided exhibit tours and historical walking tours of Old Town. A minimum of eight or more individuals are required for the tours.
STANDARDS FOR SCHOOL SPONSORED TEMECULA VALLEY MUSEUM DOCENT LED TOURS
The mission of our Museum is to share knowledge about the History, Legends and Lore of the Temecula Valley. One of the methods employed to accomplish this mission is providing tours through the Museum and through Old Town Temecula led by a specially trained cadre of Docents. These dedicated individuals volunteer their time, energy and talents and share their knowledge so that our visitors can enjoy a positive and enriching experience while learning about our Valley.
TWO of our most SIGNIFICANT CONCERNS while conducting our tours are the SAFETY and SECURITY of our visitors and our tour docents. Because of those concerns we have created some definitive standards that must be followed by our docents and school visitors during our tours.
The ideal group size for our docents is 30 to 40 students. The maximum number of students that we can safely handle at any one time is 60. Any more than 60 students, per visit, must be approved by the Museum Manager prior to confirmation of the tour. Regardless of the total number, the schools are responsible for providing adult assistance for supervision at the ratio of 1 adult per 10 students. Old Town Temecula is a busy place with a congested traffic and pedestrian flow and we are not able to safely cross streets and busy intersections in a timely manner with larger groups. In order to accommodate our visiting student tours we generally split our groups into two segments and utilize the following schedule:
Group # 10 am – 11:15 am 11:15 am – 11:45 pm 11:45 pm to 1:15 pm
Group 1 Museum Lunch Old Town Walk
Group 2 Old Town Walk Lunch Museum
Museum and Old Town Temecula Tours are scheduled by calling
(951) 694- 6450 – Tuesday thru Friday from 10 am to 4 pm.
– After confirmation of the tour, any changes in scheduling, time or group size must be communicated, coordinated and confirmed by the museum staff. Our Docents are all Volunteers from the community and we ask you to respect their commitment and time.
– If a need arises to cancel, reschedule or change your tour, please inform us with at least a 48 hour notice.
– Please allow sufficient travel and lead time to have your tour group arrive at the museum and be ready to go as scheduled. Arriving late, taking scheduled time for restroom breaks, food storage, and assembling outside the museum reduces the time available for adequate presentations. Please arrive by 9:45 am to allow for set-up time.
– Please keep in mind that we do not scheduled tours on Mondays and Wednesdays.
– Again, SAFETY & SECURITY of the Students and our Docents are two of our most SIGNIFICANT CONCERNS. In order to assure that the students are properly supervised, we require that each school provide sufficient adult supervision to assure that there is 1 adult for every 10 students. The adult chaperones have a responsibility to actively assist the docents in addressing safety and security concerns at all times.
– Critical concerns for docents, teachers and chaperones include times when students must cross busy streets, walk near moving traffic, visit public restrooms and utilize playground equipment in Sam Hicks Monument Park. Teachers and chaperones will be given stop signs to use.
– During our Old Town Walks, the time constraints required to cover the area does not permit buying hamburgers, ice cream, sodas or shopping in the antique and gift stores. Please do not plan such activities; our docents are unable to meet such requests.
– Food and drinks, including bottled water are NOT allowed in the museum exhibit area and must be left with backpacks, lunchboxes, and other items on the provided cart. Water is highly RECOMMENDED to bring on the walking tour.
– If there is sufficient time for the students to visit the upstairs exhibit area. Students are asked not to shout, run or stamp their feet because the sounds disrupt the downstairs activities. Please remind students to treat the antique objects with care and to return everything to their place when finished.
– If the stationery horse is to be employed by the students, an adult teacher or chaperone must actively supervise and assist each student as he/or she mounts and dismounts.
– The museum tour fee is $2/person and must be provided by the day of the tour.